Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Right use of blogs in integral practice

I've been thinking a bit about the place of blogs in an integral
practice - how can blogs be useful, given their unique "type" so to
speak?

First off, let's start with the negative.

In silence, awareness, and being-bliss, there is the radiance shining. 

Blogs, for the most part - are the opposite of that.

"Notice me! Notice me!" said the blogger.  After all I (and not the I-I) have something to say!"

Not to mention, blogs are a very mind-y enterprise. 

In this sense the "level" that is touched by a blog, as by reading in
general, is a pale reflection of reality - spiritual, emotional,
physical.

I believe this is why most spiritually related blogs, don't have, say,
the ongoing rat-a-tat-tat repetition that is seen in the political and technical
blogs. 

As that "thinking" mind, begins to become transparent, and awareness shines through, there isn't a need to live
there, but much more a wish to simply "be".  Be with the breath,
be with the awe of silence, with the surfaces of physical reality
revealing worlds in their transparency.

So how does this help?  What's the usefulness, for practice, for understanding?

I can still think of a few things -

1. Open education and debate.

There are several challenges in living an integrated spiritual life -
and some controversies.  Blogs, and also group posting boards, are
good ways to educate and get new points of view in the "how-to" of
this, that we are living.

Examples:

I've mentioned it in a post, before, but I will again -

a.  Right attitude to spiritual surrender, contrasted with
spiritual cultism.  Healthy independence, versus stubborn ego.

Here is Spiritual Safeguards.

This is a site that speaks of the danger of cults - from many angles.

It would go too far for me - while there is a list of "healthy"
spiritual practices, this particular site is pretty fear based, and the
"healthy" spiritual practices, well, aren't really a list of practices
per se, but instead a nice set of values (no practices) and a nice,
well laid out, restricted, box - have fun playing...

So this dichotomy - the healthy, functioning interdependent ego, or the
rigid stubborn ego?  What are the signposts for the edges?


b.  Spiritual bazaar, or stick to a practice? 

I'll tell the truth - I tend to LIKE mixing and matching, trying new
spiritual practices - mainly because slightly DIFFERENT forms of
transcendence are encountered.  (I've mentioned this
previously).  I have an unfortunate habit (like my habit of cool
tech gizmos) of looking for the "next big thing". 

Luckily, I still maintain a base sitting practice.  But it's easy to get distracted...

c.  Teachers as CHARISMATIC DEMI-GODS, or teachers as ordinary humans? 

If you've seen as many teachers as I have, there are sometimes where -
well, you are just blasted by the spiritual power.  You can be drenched, really, with power, melting sweetness, etc. 

And yet, the same "spiritual athlete", for lack of a better word, can be an absolute abusive cad.

But, I've also been around "ordinary" teachers.  That's fine too,
but I don't get nearly as jazzed or inspired.  It's like, "yeah,
so what?  30 years of meditation, to kvetch at Spirit Rock?"

At any rate, all the above dichotomies - all can be usefully discussed
in web logs.  A lot of people contributing, openly sharing and
learning, and the natural obsessiveness of blogs, I believe can provide
a more grounded mental understanding of the above, and point people to
the best solutions, as people share their experiences.

2.  Shared experiences and personal stories  - I know, I just
used this, but it's true.  I'm fighting with my girlfriend - how
do i reconcile this with spiritual practice? What really is enthusing
me, inspiring me? What is getting me down, and what's a
challenge? 

Personal stories become beloved stories that inspire, amuse, and occasionally gross you out.


3.  Good practical information

Or how to get from a to b, to c.  How to exercise right, eat right, meet new people, etc.

4.  Outpourings of creativity, love, beauty. 






. 






more...

More about meditation here