Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Ken Wilber and Andrew Cohen tap-dancing around the elephant in the room

I've just listened to the most recent "what's new" dialogue up at Integral Naked. 

I'll post a real analysis tonight, but I wanted to mention that, it's
worthwhile listening to it.  (Let me know if I should post the MP3
file to OurMedia, and provide the link, for anyone who isn't a
subscriber to Integral Naked. Or simply email me, that way it stays private.)

It's worth listening to.

Again, more later, but 1st thoughts. 

1. Cognitively, most of the points being talked about are clear - a person's
"center of gravity" doesn't shift, even if one understands
the spiritual vision intellectually.  To move the center of gravity up takes work, and
at times will involve confrontation.
2. Ken is very, very nicely nicely, almost excruciatingly nicely,
hinting around some of the controversy surrounding Andrew Cohen. 
It's a public forum, and so I understand the feather touch - it makes
sense.
3. Emotionally, Cohen sounds incredibly defensive, using valid points
about spiritual authority and spiritual growth, but the emotional
defensiveness seems is there..  There is no doubting this.
4. Andrew Cohen is a "Right Man", in terms of always believing, he, or
his vision, is right.  I'll attempt to find the link to a
pathological description of "Right Man" later. There's a very good
description of this is some work of psychology, but it has slipped my
mind at the moment.

 Being "Right" with a
capital R, and being a "Rude Boy" to boot, is very problematic, in my
view.

NOTE:  Cross-posted at Integral Naked Forum more...

More about meditation here